Help us improve the Health Translations Directory by taking our brief online survey. It will only take a few minutes. Help us improve the Health Translations Directory by taking our brief online survey.
(It will only take a few minutes)
Close survey

Topic "Housing" in Spanish - total 37 documents

Title: About Consumer Affairs Victoria
Summary: Basic information and contact details about the services. Consumer Affairs Victoria is the state’s consumer affairs regulator. Their purpose is to help Victorians be responsible and informed traders and consumers.

Title: Appealing a public housing decision
Summary: If you do not agree with a decision made by the Director of Housing you may be able to appeal the decision, to see if they will change it.

Title: Applying for a private rental property
Summary: When looking for a rental property, there are a number of things you should consider before and during the search for your next home.

Title: Assignment and subletting
Summary: Assignment is the legal term for when a tenant transfers their whole interest in a rental property to another person. For example, if a tenant signed a 12-month tenancy agreement (lease) but decided to leave after 6 months, they could get another person to move in and take over their lease. The new tenant would take the place of the original tenant, paying rent directly to the landlord, and having all the rights and responsibilities of the original tenant.

Title: Avoiding public housing maintenance charges
Summary: You don’t have to pay maintenance charges unless there is an order made at the Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) requiring that you pay.

Title: Breaking a lease
Summary: If you have a fixed-term tenancy agreement (often called a lease), and you want to move out before the end of the fixed term, you may be able to break your lease in one of the following ways. You need to take care because some methods of breaking a lease may involve costs.

Title: Compensation for tenants
Summary: If your landlord failed to carry out any of their duties under your tenancy agreement (lease) or the Residential Tenancies Act 1997, you can apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal for compensation.

Title: Complaints about landlords and real estate agents
Summary: If you think that your landlord or real estate agent has acted illegally or unprofessionally, you should consider making an official complaint.

Title: Defending a compensation claim by your rental provider
Summary: If your landlord believes they have suffered loss as a result of you breaching your tenancy agreement (lease) or the Residential Tenancies Act 1997, they may apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal to make a compensation claim against you.

Title: Ending a tenancy
Summary: Information on what to do when you are moving out of a rental property. See the 'Breaking a lease' and 'When you want to leave' fact sheets for more information about how and when you can give notice to end your tenancy.

Title: Eviction
Summary: In order to evict you, the landlord must: 1. Give you a valid Notice to Vacate (see the Notices to Vacate fact sheet for more information); 2.Apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal for a Possession Order; 3. Purchase a Warrant of Possession from the Tribunal; and 4. Give the Warrant of Possession to the police, which the police will use to evict you

Title: Fees and costs for a VCAT hearing
Summary: Expenses related to VCAT hearings are divided into “fees” and “costs”. Fees are amounts you pay to VCAT. An example is the application fee for a hearing. Other fees include the fee for a warrant of possession or the fee to issue a summons. Costs are any other amounts you have to pay to go to the hearing and present your case. Examples include travel expenses and costs of preparing evidence.

Title: Giving your landlord a breach of duty notice
Summary: If your landlord fails to carry out their duties under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997, you can give them a breach of duty notice. This notice tells the landlord that they are required to fix the problem or pay you compensation for any loss you have suffered because of their breach of duty (or both).

Title: Goods left behind
Summary: If you move out of, or are evicted from, your rental property and you leave behind some of your goods (eg clothes, furniture) or personal documents (eg photos, letters), the landlord must deal with them by following the procedures set out in the Residential Tenancies Act 1997

Title: HOME at last: older persons' housing and support services
Summary: HOME at Last is a service provided by Housing for the Aged Action Group (HAAG) Inc. HAAG is a community group with a membership base of older people. Many older people are living in insecure housing, worried about where they will live in the future.Secure, affordable housing options are available but you many need assistance to find them.

Title: Pets and your tenancy
Summary: The Residential Tenancies Act 1997, which sets out the legal rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants, doesn’t say anything about keeping pets on a rental property. However, many leases have a ‘no pets’ clause that prohibits tenants from keeping pets. If you have a pet or intend to get one, you should make sure your landlord agrees to this before you rent the property.

Title: Property inspection checklist: student housing
Summary: Each time you inspect a rental property, bring a copy of this checklist with you. As you go about making the inspection, put a tick or cross in the address column or make a brief note. This will help you compare properties before you put in your application/s.

Title: Public housing rents
Summary: If you live in public housing, your rent won’t be more than a quarter of your household income.

Title: Rent arrears
Summary: Under most tenancy agreements, rent is paid in advance. The most common arrangement is for the rent to be paid in advance on the same day of each month to cover the month ahead. If you do not pay rent on the day that it is due, for each day that you occupy the property without having paid rent you will be one day overdue or in ‘rent arrears’.

Title: Rent increases
Summary: If the landlord wants to increase the rent during your tenancy agreement (sometimes called a ‘lease’), they must give you a proper notice and there are some limits as to when and how much the rent can be increased.

Title: Repairs when renting a home
Summary: Landlords have a duty under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 to make sure that the properties they rent out are kept in good repair. This also applies to common areas owned or managed by the landlord.

Title: Shared households
Summary: Not all shared household arrangements are the same. When you share a house or flat with other people, it may be a co-tenancy arrangement where all tenants have equal rights, one tenant may be sub-letting from another tenant, or you may have a licence agreement with no tenancy rights at all. Problems can occur when you share with other tenants, especially if you move into an established ‘share house’. There may be doubts about your legal status, and the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 does not cover the rights and responsibilities of co-tenants in relation to each other, and nor does it regulate licence agreements.

Title: Starting a tenancy
Summary: A tenancy agreement (sometimes called a ‘lease’) may be in writing or it may be verbal. It may be for a fixed term (eg 6 or 12 months) or periodic (usually month to month). Fixed-term agreements are more secure because they make it harder for the landlord to evict you, but it can be expensive if you want to move out before the end of the fixed term. Only commit yourself to a fixed-term agreement if you are reasonably sure that you want to stay for the full term of the agreement.

Title: Tenant databases and blacklists
Summary: When you apply for a rental property, landlords and real estate agents sometimes use tenant databases to check if you have been “blacklisted” by previous landlords or real estate agents.

Title: The landlord is selling
Summary: A landlord is allowed to sell their property during your tenancy even if you have a fixed term tenancy agreement. The landlord or the landlord’s agent has to comply with the tenancy law when they are selling.

Title: The Tribunal (VCAT)
Summary: The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (Residential Tenancies List) hears disputes between landlords and tenants. It is not a court, but it is able to make decisions that can be legally enforced. It is intended to be informal and cheap, and to resolve disputes quickly and fairly

Title: Understand, compare and control your energy service
Summary: This fact sheet proivdes simple information on your energy service.

Title: Utility charges
Summary: Services to your home such as electricity, gas, oil, water and sewerage are called ‘utility’ services. This page explains your responsibilities for connecting and disconnecting these services. It also explains which costs are your responsibility, and those costs that are your landlord’s responsibility.

Title: What are my housing options? Student housing
Summary: An outline of possible housing options for students

Title: What do I need to know before moving in (private rental and share houses) Student housing
Summary: Overview on tenants rights and duties before moving into a rental property.

Title: What do I need to know before moving in? (rooming houses) Student housing
Summary: Overview on your rights and duties when renting a room.

Title: What do I need to know before moving out? Student housing
Summary: There are a few things that one must take care of before moving out, although the legal responsibilities can vary slightly depending on the type of accommodation you are in.

Title: What to do when you face difficulties paying rent due to COVID-19
Summary: What you can do when you face difficulties paying rent due to COVID-19.

Title: When you get a breach of duty notice
Summary: If your landlord believes that you haven’t met one or more of your duties under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997, they can give you a Breach of Duty Notice.

Title: When you want to leave
Summary: Overview of rights and responsibilities if you want to end the lease.

Title: Your guide to Commonwealth Home Support Programme services: supporting you to live at home
Summary: This booklet explains how older people can receive support in their home and daily life through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme. You should read this booklet if you have been assessed by a Regional Assessment Service (RAS) for Commonwealth Home Support Programme services

Title: Your renting rights
Summary: Translated fact sheets about topics such as requesting repairs, bond lodgement and starting and ending a tenancy.

This resource has been reviewed in the last 3 years and complies with the Health Translation Directory editorial guidelines and collection policy.
This resource is available in Easy English. Easy English combines text and images to convey information simply and directly. It is specifically designed for people with reading difficulties.

The Health Translations Directory is always improving

The Centre for Culture, Ethnicity and Health has been contracted to manage and improve Health Translations. We are regularly reviewing our collection and improving your experience of the directory. We rely on your contributions. If you are aware of a multilingual health resource, produced in Australia, please register it here or let us know.